Monday 4 March 2013

Unit 49: Introduction to music technology Task 1


BTEC LEVEL 3 DIPLOMA IN CREATIVE MEDIA PRODUCTION

Unit 49: Introduction to music technology

Assignment 1: Be able to connect, set up and test music technology equipment

By: Sophie Samengo-Turner

Teacher:Mr Winston

Over the course of this unit I have created three pieces of music: a virtual performance, a remix of the virtual performance and an original piece. I used two different types of MIDI computer software to create these pieces of music, Reason and Sibelius. Reason is a sequencing system which uses loop samplers. Each has different areas which need to be learnt in order to use them. Here I shall explain how I created each piece of music and how both programs are used.

 

Of paramount importance when dealing with any technical equipment is the consideration of health and safety matters. The computers are in a classroom studio. Connected to each computer is a monitoring system to listen to the work created and monitor noise levels, these are headphones. These headphones are placed with their designated computer which they are plugged into. This is to stop confusion and the mix up of head phones. It is also to prevent accidents such as tripping due to wires being spread across the room. This also prevents damage to the headphones from such accidents.It is also an important health and safety rule not to bring food and drink into the classroom. Crumbs can fall into the gaps of a keyboard, sometimes causing it to be inefficient and bad smelling food can be distracting. If a drink spills onto a wire it can destroy whatever the wire is connected to; potentially electrocute the user and spilt sugary drinks cause surfaces to become sticky and unusable. Another important health and safety measure taken in the studio is the Air Conditioner (AC). There are over twenty computers in the classroom each releasing heat, along with that, there can be over twenty students in the room all emitting body heat. This environment can cause the users and PC’s to become tired and over heat.Although the computers each have a fan built into them, it may not be strong enough to cope with these conditions and so the computers can overheat causing the power to amplify, this can cause system failure. So, it is important to use the AC to keep the classroom cool.

In case the computer does fail or a program freezes I think it is incredibly important to save work regularly and not just in one place. If the computer does break down and the only place in which my coursework is stored is the computer hard drive, I would probably have to restart all over again. All my course work is saved on my USB in case of unforeseen events.

 

It is possible to add a MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) keyboard. That means that you can plug a keyboard into the computer and using programs such as Reason or Sibelius, you can record music and it will playback on the computer.

 
 
Each computer allows it’s user to adjust the sound to their preferred amount. Reason has a mixer on the program. This allows you to adjust the noise of each individual instrument/loop as shown in the picture on the next page. You can also make the program adjust the sound throughout the piece to cause fades in the noise. You can also add effects such as reverberation or creating a delay in a loop or redrum causing a change in the way it would sound. There is also the possibility of changing the equalisation to heighten/lessen the amount of treble or base the audience will hear. I did not use these effects in my work since I felt that they were unnecessary.
Sibelius does not have such equipment. Noise has to be adjusted from the computer instead of the program. With the use of expressions, one can change the volume and speed of the music throughout the piece.

 

To Elise:

For the virtual performance I used 'To Elise' which is classified under the romantic classical genre. This piece of music was written by Ludwig Van Beethoven.The music is played on an A minor scale with the time signature of 3/8. The top number is the beats in a bar and the bottom number shows type of notes being used. In this case that means that there are three beats in a bar and the eight means that quavers are being used in this piece.

I recreated the song, 'To Elise' on a program called Sibelius.Once you have logged onto a computer and selected the correct program a small rectangle will come onto the screen introducing the program. Moments later a second item will appear showing the files available on the computer. To open the program you need to find a section where you would like your work to save. This box asks the user whether they want to open up a new document or whether they wish to open up a previous piece of music.

Once you have a plain score on the screen you have to look at the sheet music and then copy that onto the screen. There are two ways to do that, either step input or using a MIDI keyboard. Step input is easier because using a keyboard you have to stay in time therefore I used step input. In this case the first two beats are quaver rests. Simply click on the rest symbol and then the note of the correct translation in beats, in this case, a quaver, and then click where you want to add it. This is repeated throughout, if rests are not needed then you just add the note on the correct line.

When I first started using the program I had difficulties with rests. If I made a mistake where I used the wrong note (e.g. a quaver instead of a semi-quaver) and then changed the note, it would leave a rest which was not wanted. I sometimes found it complicated to replace the rest with a note. I overcame this problem with practise. I learnt that you cannot erase a rest and so learnt to just replace them. I also found it difficult when the music changed clef near the end of the music. I found it difficult to change back once I needed the treble clef back.
Once I had copied all of the notes and expressions from the sheet music into the program I listened to a recording of someone playing the song and looked out for the differences between what I had repeated onto a computer and what someone was using a piano to create. The main difference that I heard was the difference in volumes at different points. Whilst my computer copy of the music was the same volume all the way through, the piano version had moments where the music became climactic by growing louder and then releasing the tension by going softer again. To recreate this change in volume I included crescendos and diminuendos.
I used these two expressions because rit (ritardando) gradually slows down the music and accel(accelerando)accelerates the speed of the music. I found that these expressions were effective in giving the music more expression rather than letting it sound like it was being processed by a computer.

 

Virtual performance remix:

My remix is a fusion between the Bangra and Asian dub genres.

Since ‘To Elise’ was already in the A minor scale I had to keep to that scale, although, at times when there were no A minor music loops I used the C scale available since that was the closest scale available to fit with the song.

On my computer, I often cannot hear music through my headphones then one of  thetwo following problems may haveoccurred. 1. The headphones are not connected to the right socket or; 2. I selected the wrong option when setting up the program. To correct number 2 click on ‘Edit’ and scroll down to Preferences. Click on the first item labelled ‘Page’ and change to Audio. Change the ‘Audio Card Device’ and click on the previously mentioned option.

The main difficulties I had with this piece were changing ‘To Elise’ from a three beat song to a four beat song. This was to make it into a more modern style. Since the music was in A minor I was able to stick to that and just add in a few extra notes in that chord after changing the key signature from 3/8 to 4/4. This made the music easier to add other loops to and made it into a more modern dance style.

I had a problem with the re-drum because every time I attempted to change the drum pattern the first pattern reappeared immediately after. I learnt to push the drum patterns into the right place and could see if it fitted in by the black line that symbolised the change.

I decided to start my piece by introducing the audience to some of the instruments in the music. I started off with the drum beat and Dr REX 1 because they were simple beats to ease the listeners into the music. I then layered in two other loops to keep the listener interested. I made them fade in because I disliked how, at the beginning and end of my piece, the music suddenly appeared or disappeared. For the instruments that play ‘To Elise’, I added in a digital reverb effect. I used ‘Pan Room’ which causes an eco which continues the noise of the music even after the instrument has stopped. I did this because I thought the eco sounded effective and made the music flow more. I made the tempo of my music slow so that you could hear each instrument in detail but also because the original ‘To Elise’ is delivered at a slow pace, I kept it that way. I used two different instruments for the two different sections of ‘To Elise’ so that part A and part B of the music were more defined. For part B I also used one of the loops which I had only used in the introduction. People were used to this noise since they had heard it at the beginning so it did not sound like a completely different song.

 

Original music:

To create my original piece of music I used Reason, the same program I used to create my remix. The set-up is exactly the same apart from the fact that you do not need to transfer music from Sibelius.

For my original piece I made it in the style of house music using no specific genre.

I created the music in C minor. When I created my original piece it was my first time using the program. It was also the first time I attempted to create my own music. I was stuck with the problem that I wasn’t sure which music loop would work with a different loop. I decided to start with a loop that I enjoyed and then worked around that. I went to the sound library on the computer containing all the loops and looked through them. Once I had found a few loops that caught my attention, I started mixing them together. Some loops did not mix together and so I waited until I had created a part A and then I would try and add them in as a part B

My first loop takes a break after repeating itself four times and my twelfth loop replaces it. This change created a change in the music keeping it interesting whilst allowing me to enter another loop that I enjoyed. I decided that apart from a few background noises I wanted part B to be very different with a varied texture. This gave the music more variety which is important to keep the audience interested.

Whilst using this program I learnt how to adjust where I wanted music, deleting unwanted bars, ungrouping loops so that I could adjust them. I also learnt how to add the click on to make sure that all the music was in time and fitted together.

I decided that to ease the listener into my piece I should start off with just the drum beat and then layer the loops. The first loop I used is present through both sections A and B, a Tabala. The second loop I added thickness to the texture of the music. I added a hook in the middle of part A to keep the audience’s attention. Using it also changed the feel of the music for that section although I had only changed two things, getting rid of Dr REX 1 and adding Dr REX 12. Although Dr REX 3 lasts three beats, I wanted to keep to round numbers and so added in Dr REX 2 and 4 for one beat. This kept the music to round numbers in my opinion. For part B I kept Dr REX 5 so that it the music didn’t change completely. I also changed the pattern to Dr REX 4 and 8. The audience is familiar with these sounds from part A and so I wanted to keep that familiarity. As I mentioned at the beginning, there is the possibility of changing a loop/redrums original sound when using a mixer. I had the opportunity to adjust the equaliser to allow the listener to hear more of the bass noises in my music but I chose not to because I felt that the original loops sounded better than when I adjusted them. I also did not use editing techniques to alter whether a two bar loop only played for one bar since this music was created in house style, meaning everything was done in round numbers such as four.

No comments:

Post a Comment