Monday 4 March 2013

Unit 3: Teacher interview


TEACHER INTERVIEW

Age: 35-45

Date of interview: 22/10/12

Ethnicity: Asian

Gender: Male

Occupation: Film/Media teacher

Recorded: Teacher’s office

 

SST:     “When you think horror what do you think of?”

SPI:      “Shock, violence, blood, gore, thrill, suspense, tension.”

SST:     “All the normal sort of things then?”

SPI:      “Yeah, all the conventional things you’d expect with horror.”

SST:     “Would you watch comedy horror films casually? If yes why?”

SPI:      “Probably not, because that’s not really my kind of genre. So, no.”

SST:     “What is your favourite genre then?”

SPI:      “Horror is actually one of my least favourites. I like documentaries, I like dramas, I like world cinema, foreign films, those are my favourite types of films.”

SST:     “Any particular reason you don’t like horror?”

SPI:      “I’m not very good with those scary, shocking, violent. The violence, the blood, the gore. It’s not my type of thing, do you know what I mean? I’ll tell you what it is; I don’t like my emotions being manipulated so blatantly which is what horror kind of does.”

SST:     “Do you think you could give a structure of how a comedy horror film could go? When will things happen and how will they?”

SPI:      “Oh, you mean like a narrative structure.”

SST:     “Yes.”

SPI:      “Normally they’re quite formulaic. Comedy horrors are very interesting because even though they followa narrative structure, what we would expect in terms of its themes would often be on the lines of parody. Making fun ofother types of films which is inter-textuality. They’ll follow a very formulaic structure with a clear resolution at the end.”

SST:     “What is your favourite type of person in a comedy horror? For example would you choose the hero or the villain. It could be because of make-up reasons for a zombie or –”

SPI:      “Comedy horror, depends what the film is really. There are some comedy horrors that I’ve seen where the villain is quite entertaining and funny but most people would identify with the protagonist.”

SST:     “Yeah, ok.”

Would you prefer realistic or unrealistic storylines? Do you prefer a serial killer or a zombie?”

SPI:      “Realistic.”

SST:     “Any specific reason?”

SPI:      “I like realistic films, realism.”

SST:     “Ok, so just your preference?”

SPI:      “Yeah. I’m not very good with suspending my belief or fantasy. If films tend to be real or realistic then that’s what I enjoy.”

SST:     “What horror villain category do you prefer? For example, vampires, zombies, monster, freak, toys, children. The list goes on.”

SPI:      “I’m going to contradict what I responded to last, I’m actually going with zombies, but not the actual conventional zombies, kind of zombies you might see in I am Legend for example. Unconventional zombies.”

SST:     “Thank you very much.”

No comments:

Post a Comment